Over 50 tribal students fall ill due to food poisoning

SURAT: More than 50 students of an ashramshala at Gavan village of Uchhal taluka in Tapi district had diarrhoea and also vomited on Tuesday afternoon due to food poisoning.

Health officials said the incident occurred after the students consumed milk served to them around 3 pm.

The students in different age groups were rushed to community health centre (CHC) at Uchhal and were given treatment for diarrhoea and vomiting. The school authorities informed the health officials around 3.30 pm about the condition of sick students.

"The students are out of danger. We are giving necessary treatment to them. New cases are still coming and therefore the number of affected students could go up from 50," said Paul Gamit, epidemic medical officer of Tapi.

The affected students are tribals and residents of nearby villages around Gavan. The health authorities are yet to find out the exact cause behind food poisoning.

"We have collected the samples of milk and water from the ashramshala and sent them for tests. The milk was from a reputed dairy and chlorinated water is used in the school," said Gamit.