Children of a lesser god?

LUDHIANA: Eunuchs, people of the third sex as they are widely known in the sub-continent, are being reduced to an emotional wreck.

Surviving at the margins of our civilized society, they are one of the most disempowered groups and are not protected from prejudice and abuse. Living in poverty in abject conditions, they have literally been outcast from the society.

The third sex is not recognized constitutionally. They have been deprived of their civil and legal rights because Indian law recognizes only two sexes.

This means transgender people do not have the right to marry, own a ration card, passport or a driving licence, or claim employment and health benefits.

More so, they are being discriminated against for no fault of their’s, and if there is anything that needs to be blamed it is our mainstream society.

Neelam Kapoor, working with an NGO named Jago, said, ‘’This is the bitter truth of our society which needs to be handled and I will definitely like to work for them. These people need representation in the decision-making process to bring change in the society; else they will continue to rot on the margins of society - abused and undermined.’’

She further said, ‘’I never thought of associating myself with any NGO. But, as an individual, I think about their problems and the pain they go through.’’

Narrating her tale of woe, Shivani, a eunuch from Jammu and Kashmir, said, ‘’There are around 35-40 eunuchs who own a flat each and each family comprises four to five people.’’

Talking about her plans, she said, ‘’I was studying in class XII when I was brought here in 1990. I wanted to study and achieve my goals. But, I was told that I was not a part of the society and I belonged to this community.’’

She further said, ‘’I don’t have any complaint against my community, but people look down upon us and hate us. How do you expect us to work with them,’’ she rued.

Talking on the issue, another eunuch, said, ‘’Though I miss my parents badly, people here love me like my own family members. I don’t even think of going back now. People can only sympathize but when it comes to accepting us, they are ashamed.’’

Urging people to treat them with respect, Shamma, another eunuch, said, ‘’I wanted to study and become a respectable citizen of the society. But my physical disability was not acceptable to the society and as a result, I was not allowed to continue my education. Now, I dance in the streets and earn myself a living.’’

She further said, ‘’We have been castigated from the society as being abnormal and being not like others. We cannot be blamed for this abnormality. It is god’s will.’’

While raising a question, another eunuch, said, ‘’We have organizations fighting for women’s rights, minorities and wings protecting men’s unions, while some fighting for gay rights, then where does the third sex fit in??

The society should feel ashamed that we are being deprived of our basic right to lead a respectable life, she said.

Coming to power

Eunuchs were given voting rights in 1994, almost after 5 decades of our Independence!

Shabnam Mausi was the first eunuch elected from the Sohagpur constituency in Madhya Pradesh in 1998. Her success story has inspired many to take up mainstream activities in India and give up their traditional roles as dancers, prostitutes, and beggars.

Fighting for rights

A group of eunuchs had moved the Supreme Court on January 20, seeking their right to education, social and political rehabilitation.

The petition filed by Sonam Singh, a eunuch from Ajmer, sought direction to the Centre to constitute a National Kinnar Ayog or commission on the lines of those for Dalits, tribals, minorities and women.

Fighting for rights

A group of eunuchs had moved the Supreme Court on January 20, seeking their right to education, social and political rehabilitation.

The petition filed by Sonam Singh, a eunuch from Ajmer, sought

direction from the Centre to constitute a National Kinnar Ayog or commission on the lines of those for Dalits, tribals, minorities and women.

Legal status

In 2007, the state government of Tamil Nadu passed an order

providing the third sex free

healthcare and education. Also, they were given status of the third sex.